Are you interested in NovUM or student representation, but don’t know how to get involved?
Several options exist, you only have to choose what seems best for you.
Be a follower
Following us on social medias keeps you updated about our public activities and important changes in the party. This is a good way to get to know us. You can also contact a member of the party to know more about NovUM.
If you want to know more about our internal affairs, get to vote on potential changes in the party, and much more, keep reading!
Be a member
Being a member is the most flexible position in NovUM, as well as the most flexible way to become politically active. Depending on the time you want to invest, being a member allows you to
- Receive NovUM’s newsletter, which keeps you updated about everything that is going on in NovUM
- Participate to NovUM’s General Assemblies, which also keeps you updated, as well as gives you the right to vote on NovUM’s decisions and to give your own suggestions and thoughts
- Help with the work in progress, whether it is with specific skills (e.g. a member designed most of this website. Thank you Nawid!), or by being in NovUM’s team during the events we attend
- Run for a councillor position via NovUM
- Become a board member
Become part of this great adventure!
Be a councillor
Every year in May, elections are held to renew the students member of the university and faculty councils. The councils represent UM’s staff and students and impact UM’s direction. Depending on the matter, the councils must advise on new initiatives, consent to them, assess them, monitor them and/or submit proposals. Concrete examples of what the councils have done so far are:
- Creating a platform for students having trouble finding a room
- Implementing e-lectures and e-books in most faculties
- Increasing the number of study places and extending their opening hours
- Reducing the time students have to wait to see UM’s psychologists
- Making UM more accessible for people using wheelchair
- Making available free Dutch language courses for all UM students
- Increasing the quality, diversity and sustainability of UM’s food
- Implementing the Green Office and waste separation
Also, each council has a fixed number of seats for student representatives.
- University Council: 10
- FASoS Council: 5
- FHML Council: 9
- FPN Council: 5
- FSE Council: 6
- Law Faculty Council: 6
- SBE Faculty Council: 6
You can be part of these councils!
Do you want to be at the heart of change in UM? Do you want to defend our shared values in a council? Run for a representative position in one of the councils with NovUM! Contact us.
Be a board member
Every year in June, the current board calls for applications to constitute the board for the next year. In a nutshell:
- The president represents NovUM and ensures all projects and tasks are achieved in time
- The vice president helps the president, and usually coordinates the election period
- The treasurer takes care of the financial aspects of the party
- The secretary takes care of the administrative matters, ensures that the meetings are organised and minuted, and in general communicates a lot within and out of the party
- The political officer ensures good relations and communication with our members, councillors, partners and with other parties’ and associations’ board. The PO is also responsible for increasing our number of members, councillors and partners
- The public relations officer ensures NovUM’s presence in students’ life by making NovUM active online (Facebook, Instagram, website), and offline (diverse events)
Do you want to manage the party? Do you think your skills would fit one of the jobs above? Apply for a board position in June!